One of the most popular street food of mumbai and indeed very delicious . Every one of us go through the disappointment of not being able to replicate the roadside taste of this dish . I tried various recipes and this was one of the recipe which was closest to the roadside taste.
- 2 finely chopped capsicum
- 5 finely chopped tomatoes
- 3 finely chopped onions
- 5 boiled potatoes
- half cup boiled green peas
- pav bhaji masala
- lemon juice
- red chilly powder
- 7 – 8 garlic cloves
- 2 green chillies
1) Add water in a pan . Add finely chopped capsicum and let it get soft . Eventually add tomatoes and let them cook. Add mashed potatoes and green peas . Season it with butter , pav bhaji masala , red chilly powder , salt , green chilly – garlic paste. Keep on mashing and let is boil. Add water as and when required.
2) Heat butter in another pan . Add finely chopped onions , salt , pav bhaji masala , red chilly powder , asafoetida and lemon juice. let is cook completely
3) Add the onions into the potato mixture and let is cook until all the flavours are properly integrated. Keep on mashing.
Garnish it with coriander and tamper with butter – garlic chutney
For butter garlic chutney :
Add butter , cumin seeds , red chilly powder and garlic chutney , water if required. You can add this on bhaji or spread it on pav.
normally I add around half a beet root (boiled and shredded) to get that dark colour…Its a good way to replace the artificial colour wid beetroot juice or pulp.